Saturday, March 28, 2020

Distribution

Distribution


Hey guys!

As the days go on and my group and I slowly start to mend and adjust our old script into something new and attainable, we have also began considering the CCR questions into our planning process. One question in particular I found we could easily answer in our blog and explain why we chose these platforms in particular. 

The question we wanted to address was this: 
-How does your product engage with audiences and how would it be distributed as a real media text?

Our product engages with audiences through the simple means of how it would appeal to them. As you can see in my previous posts, our new and updated storyline is based around a girl in high school during her summer vacation and how she is battling with wanted to be accepted into her dream school, NYU, as well as pursue her dream of becoming a dancer. We will appeal to audiences in their late teen years approaching early 20's in particular because, this time is typically when people start to want their dreams to become a reality. Often times, the decisions made during these years of a persons life will change everything. Our product will engage with audiences in the emotional aspect as well as the physical aspect, which I will get to next.

To physically be able to be something the audience can interact with, it would coincide with how we are planning on distributing our product. As our product will be a real media text, we have multiple variables to consider. Especially being a very new and unknown production company, with a small film and budget, we know our standards and where we can succeed and where we do not have a chance. Platforms such as Netflix and Amazon are no where near our reach, but that does not mean we do not have adequate distribution opportunities elsewhere.

After doing thorough research,  we have decided upon two main platforms to make our film available on. We selected Vimeo and Youtube. First, I wanted to do research to understand why someone would prefer Vimeo over Youtube or vice versa. I took to this website: https://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/youtube-vs-vimeo/ to understand the biggest differences, in particular from the point of view of someone who is looking to post and upload content on there. Some things I considered prior were: would time matter? and would I need to pay?

I found that there is not time limit for either site, that users can upload videos of any length. I also found that there are free versions of both websites, however by upgrading to the premium or pro versions, it would not cost our production company much given the benefits.

Vimeo:



After doing research on Vimeo, I found these to be interesting pointers about the website. From using this website, I was also able to understand the differences between Vimeo's basic plan and plus plan, which I plan to discuss with my other group members to see if they have a preference.






Youtube:

After finding some good information on Vimeo, I had to do research on Youtube to get an insight into their Youtube Red etc. On this website I was able to understand the differences between Youtube Red and Youtube Premium.

I was also able to see that there really is no difference on the uploading side of Youtube for their subscription. I presumed one platform would have a higher resolution or faster uploading time, however neither of these things are what set Youtube Premium and Youtube Red apart, it is more for the consumption of content.


No comments:

Post a Comment